Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Significance

This week I have to make some decisions.  I am faced with an array of opportunities, relationships, and events, and I can't do all of them.  I'm not even sure that I am supposed to do any of them.  Silence and simplicity are a clear part of my calling, but resist these parts as I strive for significance.  On some level I have bought into the lie that the more I do the more significant I am.

The very fact that I am still striving, seeking, searching for significance shows that I have missed it.  The desire itself betrays me.  It shows me that I am still measuring myself against something.  I am still looking for something or someone to tell me I am significant.  The real problem is not just that I am looking in the wrong direction, it is that I am looking at all.

God has already declared that I am significant.  According to God I am His Child, a member of a holy nation, a royal priesthood.  I am an heir with Christ, seated in the heavenly realms.  I am one of the foolish and despised things of the world, that He has declared to be something significant.  I am one of the things that was not, but is now because He spoke it into being.  The same God who spoke and their was light has spoken words of blessing and affirmation over me.

The same God who created the universe by declaring it into existence, has declared that I am His child.  He made me, and is remaking me.  He is the center of all things.  He is the One from which all things derive their meaning and existence.  Things are at their heart whatever He declares them to be.  Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.  If He says that I am significant, then I am.  It is a fact.  A fact that I loose sight of all to easily.  I know I have lost sight of it when I am living my life trying to become something less than I already am.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails