Thursday, February 11, 2010

Praying and cycling

I am starting to realize just how little I know about prayer.  It's not that I haven't read about prayer, or study the topic in the scriptures.  I admit that I have a lot left to learn cognitively about prayer, and even more left to understand.  But my need for knowledge goes beyond the cognitive.  What I am realizing is that I am only now beginning my journey in the area of prayer.

I feel like a man who years ago became interested in cycling.  I read books about the history of cycling.  I go to bike shops and talk to cyclists.  I read about the lives and experiences of great cyclists.  I even attend the odd cycling event from time to time.  But until very recently I never really got on to a bike, or at least never rode much.  I occasionally rode my bike down the street or around town, but never really trained, never devoted myself to it.  So, despite years of learning I am still a novice.

The real knowledge comes in the doing.  Years ago I had a mentor tell me that you learn about praying by praying.  I nodded sagely and asked him if he could recommend a book about that.  Recently I have redoubled my efforts at serious prayer.  I find that it is tremendously hard work.  It really is true that the learning is in the doing.  I devote myself to prayer and am left tired and drained, not unlike a novice bicycler who has not built up his stamina.  I am amazed at how exhausted I am after a time of intercession.  I feel like I have been carrying real physical burdens, a deep bone tiredness.  It is hard to push myself to continue to pray when I feel like I have "hit the wall".I have to remind myself that I have much to learn.  I want to keep learning and to find what is beyond the wall. 

1 comment:

Pilgrim said...

"I nodded sagely and asked him if he could recommend a book about that."

Thank you, Dave! That's the funniest thing I've read in quite a long time! Part of what makes it so funny is that I've fallen victim to that game over and over and over and over. I've been doing plenty of reading about prayer myself. But praying a bit less, since I've been short on time. Hey... when one thing has to go, you gotta prioritize. Last night I was reflecting on that, and wondering if I got that stupid by myself, or if spiritual encouragements from the enemy could be blamed at all for my ludicrous behavior.

But... in the interests of praying this morning (or at least reading about it) I had better drop this note and wish you a good evening.

Peace of Christ!

Related Posts with Thumbnails