Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Power of Prayer

I find myself struggling with the value of prayer. I see that it has transformational value for myself. It also has clear value in developing a more intimate relationship with the Lord. My struggle is about the practical value of prayer. Is it true that "the prayers of a righteous man accomplish much"? (James 5:16)

I have often heard the emphasis placed on prayer and on the "prayer of faith", but I find myself loosing faith in prayer. I think that I have misplaced my faith when I place it in prayer, as if prayer is a powerful force in an of itself. I believe that as I loose my faith in prayer, I am gaining more faith, more trust, in God. God is the mover. God is the source of power.

He is not an impersonal force like electricity that can be switched on or off through a "prayer of faith". He is a person who has a will and plans of His own. Is it true to say that prayer is powerful and effective, or would it be better to say that God is powerful and that prayer is the sum of our interactions with Him. When we are acting rightly, as His regents, His priests, in His Name, He delights to grant us our requests. Therefore, the prayers of a righteous man are powerful and effective, in that they are the means by which God releases His power and gains glory for Himself.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails