Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Unexpected Beauty

While walking through the countryside the other day, I was struck by the beauty of a single daffodil springing from the base of a hedgerow. It was surrounded by wiry looking sticks and dying fern. The incongruous beauty of that bloom caused me to stop and notice.

As I enjoyed this glimpse of unexpected beauty, I felt called to reflect. I decided to look for those glimpses of beauty around me each day.

It has been amazing how simply choosing to look for beauty has opened my eyes, changed my perspective. I now find myself noticing beauty all around me. It's not that it wasn't there before. It's that I wasn't noticing because I wasn't looking for it. I am also noticing beauty amidst the death, decay, or general ugliness of life.

There is unexpected beauty to be found in surprising places if we will look for it.

I've started an instagram account specifically to try to capture some of these moments. I'm not much of a photographer, so you'll have to bear with me. But here is what I've found so far:TJ MacLeslie's Instagram pictures

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails