Monday, April 26, 2010

Digital vs. Analog

In the digital world every thing is pixels.  The pictures on the screen are composed of tiny dots.  When you zoom in far enough everything is just dots.  In the real world, the analog world, things are solid, tangible, and connected.  The real things are much more complicated and connected than the simplified and imperfect digital representation.

I find myself reflecting on other differences between the real world and the digital one.  Electronic technology is integrated into virtually every aspect of our lives.  This brings myriad advantages, but perhaps there are some drawbacks as well.  For example, I enjoy playing FIFA on my Playstation, but when comparing playing soccer alone in a room with a console and a controller to getting together with a group of friends to kick the ball around, the inadequacies of the digital version become readily apparent.

Much has been made of the ability of digital technologies to keep us connected.  But I wonder if perhaps the digital world doesn't bring us together as much as it claims to.  I don't deny that in the context of a real relationship digital tools can help.  For example, my kids can talk with my grandparents for free using video and audio like something out of the Jetsons.  I admit that technologies like twitter, blogs, and facebook make us feel more connected, but are we really?  These tools create pixilated relationships rather than real relationships.  On facebook you see certain image of my life, but you are only getting the pixels that I choose to reveal.  You're not seeing the whole picture, just the disconnected dots that I choose to post.  We get the digital version of the person, not the real thing, a digital version of relationship, not the real thing.

In a real, analog, relationship, there is no photoshop.  There is no airbrushing or retouching, no perfecting the image before you post it.  We are who we are, warts and all.  We are much more complicated than the digital versions of ourselves.  In a face to face conversation the words only make up 7% of the communication that is happening.  The other 93% of communication is non-verbal everything from tone and volume to facial expressions and posture.  Obviously, real communication can take place through writing, but real relationships take more than the communication of information.  I wonder if we settle for digital communication because it allows for the illusion of relationship while allowing us to keep a safe distance to create feelings of connectedness while remaining isolated. 

We were designed by our creator for real relationship; specifically for a real relationship with Him.  I wonder if we settle for a digital relationship with God rather than a real one?  God desires a real relationship.  He did not just give us a book about Himself.  He wanted to give us more than mere information.  The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.  He dwells among us still.  He stands at the door and knocks.  If anyone will open the door He will come in and eat with us.  He is inviting Himself to dinner at your place.  He wants to interact with us in more analog ways, solid, tangible, and even complicated ways.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I find this to be true in my life more often than I'd like to admit. Thanks. This was a great post.

Stephanie said...

Really moved by your post. Thank you, Thirsty for making me think again. Why do we settle... all the time? We walk away from those digital relationships feeling less than satisfied, but they continue and yes, I think, we do the same with God.

Pilgrim said...

I, too, very much appreciated this posting! Couldn't agree more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails